Expanding Single Brackets Examples
What is the resource?
This PDF explains how to expand brackets in algebra: multiplying what's outside the bracket by each term inside. It's ideal for secondary school students.
Why is expanding brackets important?
Expanding brackets might seem minor, but it's a gateway skill in maths:
- Simplifying: We expand to collect terms and make expressions tidier.
- Equations: Often the first step is needed to solve for unknown values.
- Deeper algebra: This technique is needed for factorising and more complex work later.
Why is this resource helpful?
It gives students the right tools for this skill:
- Clear visuals: Arrows illustrate the multiplication process visually.
- Stepped solutions: Works through examples methodically, easy to follow.
- Negative numbers: Offers tips and examples for multiplying with negative signs.
- Printable PDF: Perfect for reference during a lesson, revision, or even homework.
This resource demystifies bracket expansion. This gives students a firm foundation to solve equations and progress confidently in algebra.
Also, have a look at our wide range of worksheets that are specifically curated to help your students practice their skills related to expanding brackets. These teaching resources and worksheets are in PDF format and can be downloaded easily.