Cazoom Maths Teaching Resources: Large Hexagons
What is the resource?
This PDF provides individual hexagon shapes large enough for hands-on use. Variations with or without grid lines inside each hexagon are offered. It works for various ages.
Why are hexagons important?
They seem simple, but hexagons hold surprising connections to maths and beyond:
- Built by nature: Beehives, rock formations – hexagons make strong, efficient structures.
- Design & craft: Think tiles, quilt patterns... The hexagon's tiling power is useful.
- Graph paper alternative: Gridded hexagons offer new ways to map data visually.
Why is this resource helpful?
It lets kids investigate hexagons actively and builds key skills:
- Hands-on pattern play: How do they fit together! What new shapes can be made!
- Early fractions: Splitting hexagons visually teaches parts of a whole.
- Measuring angles: Each corner is 120° – laying the foundation for angle work.
- Creative projects: Offers a unique base shape for art, maths games, displays...
- Printable PDF: Teachers get as many hexagons as needed readily at hand.
This resource encourages learning through exploration. This deepens understanding of both simple shapes and deeper maths concepts they link to.
Also, have a look at our wide range of worksheets that are specifically curated to help your students practice their skills related to different types of 2D shapes. These teaching resources and worksheets are in PDF format and can be downloaded easily.