Cazoom Maths Teaching Resources: Large Squares
What is the resource?
This PDF provides sizable individual squares for hands-on activities. Variations include blank squares or gridded ones. It targets primary learners.
Why are squares important?
They aren't just for drawing! Squares hold the foundations of complex thinking:
- Area basics: Measuring floor tiles, and board squares – it all goes back to the square.
- Early tessellation: How do squares tile with no gaps? This builds pattern sense.
- Multiplication visuals: Arrays (rows & columns) make number facts less abstract.
- Graphing foundation: Grid squares give structure to early coordinates and plotting.
Why is this resource helpful?
Large squares let kids physically test the maths they're learning:
- Hands-on exploration: Children manipulate, colour, and cut the squares to see ideas.
- Builds number sense: Seeing a 'row of five' as units is powerful for early learners.
- Supports creativity: Squares inspire pattern work, simple pixel art and versatile shapes.
- Visualising fractions: Splitting grids offers easy division practice.
- Printable PDF: Gives teachers as many squares as needed on demand.
This resource makes abstract concepts concrete. Handling squares, grounds understanding far better than just worksheets can.
Also, have a look at our wide range of worksheets that are specifically curated to help your students practice their skills related to different types of 2D shapes. These teaching resources and worksheets are in PDF format and can be downloaded easily.