Multiplying and Dividing Indices
What is the resource?
This PDF tackles the rules for multiplying and dividing indices (also known as powers or exponents). It offers clear explanations, and practice questions, and targets secondary school students.
Why are indices important?
Indices pop up in many areas outside of the maths classroom:
- Scientific notation: Think of huge numbers (distance to planets) or tiny ones (size of atoms)!
- Finance: Compound interest formulas use indices for calculations.
- Growth and decay: Population patterns or radioactive decay are modelled with indices.
Why is this resource helpful?
This resource breaks down a sometimes-tricky concept:
- Rules laid bare: Explains how to multiply/divide indices with the same base.
- Step-by-step examples: Works through problems clearly, easing student understanding.
- Varied exercises: Offers plenty of practice to solidify the rules.
- Builds confidence: Helps learners to avoid common mistakes with indices.
- Printable PDF: Handy for lessons, revision, or setting extra homework.
This resource simplifies indices. This frees up student brainpower to tackle more complex maths problems that often involve these skills.
Also, have a look at our wide range of worksheets that are specifically curated to help your students practice their skills related to Indices. These teaching resources and worksheets are in PDF format and can be downloaded easily.