Cazoom Maths Teaching Resources: Peg Boards 4 x 4
What is the resource?
This PDF offers a 4x4 dot grid, mimicking a physical pegboard. Designed for young learners practising early number & spatial skills.
Why are peg boards important?
They merge learning and making abstract maths feel real:
- Counting with meaning: Placing pegs one by one builds on rote reciting by adding depth.
- Understanding patterns: The grid makes rows, columns, and diagonals all visually obvious.
- Fine motor skills: Peg handling is vital for pencil grip and writing in future years.
- Pre-multiplication: Students 'fill' arrays - early steps to grasp times tables later.
Why is this resource helpful?
Printable pegboards allow flexible use and wider access to the tool:
- No special equipment: Ideal for schools on a budget, or homeschooling contexts.
- Open-ended: Teachers can invent counting games, patterning tasks, etc. on the fly.
- Differentiate easily: Colour code pegs, or combine grids for extra complexity as needed.
- Hands-on maths: Builds a 'feel' for quantities as more than just symbols on a worksheet.
- Printable PDF: Ensures enough 'boards' for partner games, individual centres, etc.
This resource gives kids tactile maths experiences at a crucial learning stage. This lays the groundwork for more complex concepts ahead.
Also, have a look at our wide range of worksheets that are specifically curated to help your students practice their skills related to area and perimeter to understand this concept better. These teaching resources and worksheets are in PDF format and can be downloaded easily.