Substituting into Expressions Examples
What is the resource?
This PDF demonstrates 'substitution' – swapping numbers for letters in algebraic expressions. It offers clearly worked examples for secondary learners.
Why is substitution important?
Substitution opens up maths problem-solving for all sorts of areas:
- Formulas: Think science formulas (speed, energy) – you often plug in values
- Finding unknowns: When we have 'missing numbers' represented by letters.
- Real-life situations: Prices changes, measurements... substitution finds the final answer.
Why is this resource helpful?
The resource makes this skill less mysterious through:
- Step-by-step guides: Provides a breakdown of how to approach each problem.
- Varied examples: Covers basic expressions, those with powers, and negative numbers.
- Increases comfort: Lets students see worked solutions before trying their own.
- Printable PDF: Handy for independent study or when working through class examples.
This resource acts as a reference tool. Students who master substitution have a powerful maths skill at their fingertips.
Also, have a look at our wide range of worksheets that are specifically curated to help your students practice their skills related to substitution. These teaching resources and worksheets are in PDF format and can be downloaded easily.