Common Core Aligned 3D Shapes Worksheets
Understanding 3D shapes is an important concept for your child in Middle School Math. At Cazoom Math, we offer the best worksheets that will help your child be able to understand 3d shapes while every activity is aligned to the Common Core Standards. Our 6th-grade worksheets will help them be able to create nets of shapes which will prepare them to find the surface area of these 3d shapes in the future. The 7th-grade worksheets will have the opportunity to practice isometric drawings as well as drawing the 2d shapes created from different perspectives of a 3D object (front, top, and side).
3D Shapes Worksheets
Math becomes a much more involved subject once a child reaches the middle-school level. Middle school-aged children sometimes have a tough time mastering 3D shapes and their associated math problems.
Although most children master the naming of 2D and 3D shapes
by the end of elementary school, putting these shapes into math problems can suddenly make a child feel overwhelmed. We have created a wide array of worksheets to help your child master this math skill, so they are ready to continue their education into high school and beyond.
The worksheets we offer at Cazoom Maths are designed for the middle-school level but are also ideal for high school students who need a refresher course on the subject. We offer a 3d shapes worksheet for the types of problems sixth-and seventh-grade students come across while learning common
core math and going through testing.
DIFFERENCES BETWEEN 3D AND 2D SHAPES
The “D” in 2D and 3D shapes, specifies the dimensions of the shape. The primary difference between 3D and 2D shapes is that the 2D shapes are comprised of only length and width. On the other side, 3D shapes are incorporated into three dimensions, length, width, and height.
Why 3D Shapes Are Sometimes Difficult for Students
We are faced with 3D shapes daily, but we do not always look to these shapes as being mathematical. Many children find it difficult to master the principles of 3D shapes when it comes to mathematics because they find the subject boring.
When students are presented with real-world shape examples, their understanding is heightened and they are able to stick with the subject without becoming bored. Cazoom Maths 3d shape worksheets are designed with bright colors and easy-to-follow diagrams that make learning interesting. You will find your child or student is engaged in learning from the moment you hand them their worksheet.
Middle-school children need to learn four dimensions by the time they graduate from high school. The following is a brief description of the dimensions children will encounter in math.
- Zero dimension – These are represented as dots and there is no length, height or width to measure.
- One dimension – If your child connects the dots and forms a line, they have now created a one-dimensional object, called a line segment.
- Two dimension – This is a shape that has a length and a width that can be measured. We offer 3d and 2d shapes worksheets to help your child master these dimensions before they graduate from seventh grade.
- Three dimension – Three-dimensional objects can be touched and picked up. They offer a third dimension that is depth.
- Fourth dimension– The fourth dimension has been described by Einstein as being time. The fourth dimensions are something your child will likely not encounter until high school and beyond, but it never hurts to help them get a start on learning core concepts they will later need.
- Square pyramid
- Hexagonal pyramid
- Triangular prism
- Pentagonal prism
- Hexagonal prism
While most middle-schoolers can easily identify spheres and cubes, some of the 3D shapes are more difficult to identify. Our 3d shapes worksheets have been created to help middle-school students easily learn the fundamentals of 3D shapes so they will be able to take this knowledge and learn to excel at math problems that involve these shapes.
Being able to name the 3D shapes is a solid first step in learning this type of math. As your child or student progresses in age, they will be introduced to 3D shape formulas that ask them to find the surface area of the shape.
Our worksheets are designed to introduce 3D shape formulas in an easy to understand format. The worksheets help middle-school students slowly buildup their knowledge of formulas, so they do not feel overwhelmed.
Sometimes, middle-schoolers simply need extra help in math and that is why this site was created. We want to empower students, their parents, and their teachers with the added resources that will help to secure the child’s understanding of integral math topics.
Finding the surface area of different shapes requires understanding slightly different formulas. It is helpful if a child can become well-acquainted with these formulas before they enter high school and begin taking geometry.
In addition to finding the surface area of 3D shapes, middle-schoolers also need to know how to figure perimeter. Cazoom Maths offers worksheets on 3D shape formulas to not only help middle-schoolers understand how to work these formulas, but to also start memorizing them.
When children begin to struggle with math issues in middle school, they often feel like giving up. Grades begin to fall and patience grows thin. The goal of Cazoom Maths is to help kids get back on track by providing them with worksheets that pique their interest and make them want to learn math concepts.
A Cazoom Maths worksheet can be printed and posted in a child’s classroom or bedroom to help them remember the formulas. We recommend also including one in the child’s math textbook for easy referral during homework and study time.
Children are all individuals and learn in different ways. Some children do better with a more hands-on learning approach, while others
need to consistently perform math problems to understand the concepts. There is no cookie-cutter approach that is going to help every student.
- We have worked tirelessly to make sure our worksheets are varied and interesting. There are many proven benefits to helping children learn math with worksheets.
- Worksheets help to summarize the math topics that have been taught in class. They work well in the classroom and as homework assignments to help students master what is being taught.
- A simple instruction is not enough for most children. Worksheets help to bridge the gap between being instructed and being able to do the work they have been taught.
- Worksheets help students to be able to see the bigger picture and how working with 3D shapes evolves into many areas of math.
- A worksheet becomes an extension of the textbook and helps to expand the topics being taught in the classroom.
- These worksheets help to encourage students to express their mathematical ideas and discover new concepts.
- Completing worksheets helps to give a child a sense of accomplishment in their studies. Many children love being able to accomplish their work and feel as if they are making strides towards understanding new math concepts.
Who says worksheets have to be boring? When introduced with engaging worksheets, middle-schoolers respond positively and actually enjoy completing their work. These worksheets do not become a chore, but rather a source of fun learning. Our 3d shape worksheets are just what your child or student needs to accomplish their goals of learning important math concepts.
There are many ways to make worksheets a part of everyday learning for middle-schoolers. Here are a few strategies to help make worksheets more exciting in the classroom and at home.
- Cut the worksheet up into sections with each problem on its own piece of paper. The students can place the papers facedown and then each student draws a paper like a game. The first student to get the right answer wins.
- Students can be placed in small groups and worksheets can be passed out to each group. The teacher will call out a problem and the group has so much time to respond with an agreed-upon answer. The group that gets the answer right wins a prize.
- Go through the worksheets as small groups and compare answers. This helps to increase communication skills and improves a student’s ability to participate in positive groupthink.
- Have students complete their worksheets and make an intentional error. Pass the completed worksheets to different students and see if they can spot the error. This challenge is often fun for students of all ages.
- Allow students to complete worksheets in pairs. Working tandemly will make the process much more engaging for students.
We recommend offering an award system for successfully completing 2d and 3d shapes worksheets. While learning is certainly a reward, students are likely going to feel more motivated if they receive a small tangible reward for their hard work.
If your child or student is struggling with 3D shapes and formulas, our worksheets will provide them with the instruction they need for success. No child should be left feeling overly frustrated on any math subject.
Our 3d shapes worksheets offer engaging topics that will open up your child’s mind and help them begin to understand this math concept in a way that is on their age and grade level. The worksheets start off teaching simple concepts and then progress to tougher subjects when the child is ready.
We make it simple for teachers and parents to search for the worksheets they need. Simply search by topic or grade level and find just what you need. These worksheets print in crystal clear definition with bright colors and engaging graphics.
You will find kids become excited to complete these worksheets because they can build their math skills with much less stress. While mastering 3D shapes is not always easy, our teaching worksheets make the process of learning much more engaging and fun.
We welcome parents and educators alike to browse through our 3d shapes worksheets to choose the perfect one for their students. Keep visiting frequently to discover the latest worksheets we have available. As your child progresses in their sixth- and seventh-grade years, they will be able to learn all of the key math concepts they will need, to be prepared for high school.
Get started today on printing all the 3d shapes worksheets you need for your child or your classroom. Cazoom Maths offers free worksheets for everyone and membership allows you to download worksheets with answer keys for easily making sure your child is on track with his or her learning.
Join today to get started! If you have any questions, contact Cazoom Maths now. Allow our math worksheets to begin to open your child’s mind and help them learn like never before. These are perfect for classroom work, homeschooling, and extra practice at home.
At Cazoom Math, we have created many middle school worksheets that will help support your child with 3d shapes while also being aligned to the Common Core Standards. We have also provided a volume reference worksheet which will be an invaluable tool to have as your child will be learning about the of 3d shapes for several years. With these resources, we are confident your 6th, 7th, or 8th grader will receive the support and help they need with 3D shapes.
Volume is a foundational geometric topic in the middle school years, so we have also included reference worksheets for finding volume. In 6th grade, your child will find the volume of cuboids and rectangular prisms. In 7th grade, your child will continue to work with cuboids and will also find the volume of pyramids. In 8th grade, your child will find the volume of cones, spheres, and pyramids.
At Cazoom Math, we include answer keys with each worksheet, so your child will not only be able to practice certain topics but will also be able to check his or her work. With our worksheets providing a variety of different skill levels, you can be sure that your child will receive the support that they need.