Number Lines to 20
What is the resource?
This PDF provides blank number lines, labelled from 0 to 20. Designed for young learners building on counting skills and early maths operations.
Why are number lines important?
They offer a visual tool for connecting abstract numbers to actual quantities:
- Understanding 'bigger/smaller': Seeing '8 is less than 12' on the line gives meaning.
- Counting on & back: Hops along the line make addition/subtraction less of a mystery.
- Measuring sense: Rulers work this way – early practice translates to measuring tools easily.
- Problem-solving basis: Estimation, even graphing, later on, links to this simple principle.
Why is this resource helpful?
This format empowers various maths concepts for younger learners:
- Supports hands-on activities: Kids use counters, and 'jump' fingers along the line for activities.
- Visualising addition: Two 'hops' combined into a total – make abstract sums less baffling.
- Comparing quantities: The visual layout emphasises which number is larger/smaller.
- Printable PDF: Ensures all students have this basic tool at hand at every lesson.
Number lines provide a bridge between simple counting and deeper number reasoning. They help kids feel at ease with early calculations.
Also, have a look at our wide range of worksheets that are specifically curated to help your students practice their skills related to numbers. These teaching resources and worksheets are in PDF format and can be downloaded easily.